Teaching and learning at WHS moved online on Monday 11th January.

March 19th 2018

Sports & Extra Curricular Events 19th - 25th March 2018

happy day


Wednesday 21st March.

Rugby. The Senior Boys Rugby squad travelled to Clontarf RFC to take on Mount Temple School in the final of the Vinnie Murray Shield.There was a strong breeze blowing from the clubhouse end which favoured Mt Temple in the first half. Other than that conditions were perfect - playing on Clontarf's 4G surface. Mt Temple were first on the score board. Their number 10 pinned Wilson's into the corner with a clever kick. After four phases their number 5 (who was excellent throughout) crashed over from close range. The conversion was added making it 7-0 after 12 minutes.

Mt Temple had most of the ball for the rest of the half but it took until a minute before half time for their possession and territory to transfer into points. Wilson's failed to defend the short side properly allowing the Mt Temple number 6 to score in the corner. Crucially this try was not converted. The half time score was 12-0.

1 cr 2 cr
The second half could not have started worse for Wilson's. The ball was not gathered properly at the restart which eventually resulted in Mt Temple scoring under the post making the score 19-0. The game looked to be getting away from us. 

6 cr
The next score was always going to be key and thankfully it came from Wilson's. Number 8 William (fresh back from injury) was introduced and scored with only his second touch of the ball. He picked from the back of the scrum and ran over two would-be tacklers to score under the posts. Wilson's were back in the game. 19-7 with 18 minutes remaining. 

3 cr

The next try was to go to William as well. Some great build up work from Ryan, Robbie and Alex gave WHS great field position. Eventually Jeff got held up over the line. From the resulting scrum William picked and went over in the corner. Ryan kicked the conversion from the most impossible of angles to set up a grand stand finish. 14-19 with 9 minutes left. Wilson's applied great pressure for the following few minutes and it looked like the game was lost when Mt Temple turned over the ball with 90 seconds to go.

4 cr 10 cr

Some outstanding work on the ground from David, Barry and Franklin won the ball back for Wilson's. Some fantastic ball carrying from Richard, Owen and Harry put us back into the Mt Temple 22 and with what was to be the second last play of the game Evan crashed over from short range making the score 19-19 with the conversion to follow. Incrediblely the conversion was blocked by a Mt Temple hand but still made it over the bar. Score 21-19. Wilson's taking the lead for the first time with 20 seconds remaining. The restart was fielded confidently by Robbie. Scenes of joy followed after Ryan kicked the ball out to the sound of the full time whistle. A magnificent win for Wilson's.

8 cr  9 cr

In the pack a special mention has to go to Jeffrey and Nathan incrediblely starting their first senior games for the school. Both performed admirably! In the backs Richard, Owen and Evan were a constant threat. Man of the Match goes to Ryan who was outstanding throughout!

7 cr 

5 cr

20cr 21cr

Well done lads. They don't come any sweeter than that. Thank you to the past pupils, parents and friends who came to support the match.


Rugby 1 cr

Rugby 3 cr

Rubgy 2 cr


Hockey. It was also Finals Day in the Meath & District League. The Girls' Senior A and Junior teams were both in action.

Winners cr

The Senior A girls' team got off to a great start, dominating possession in the first ten minutes and putting pressure on the Dundalk defence. Wilson’s were awarded multiple short corners. Some excellent shots were taken but they just missed the target. Emily was having a superb game on the right wing. She gained a lot of possession and put some excellent crosses into the Dundalk circle with Carla narrowly missing a good opportunity. Dundalk had a quick break out of defence in the closing minutes of the first half. They passed the ball along the left wing and got the ball to the centre forward waiting at the top of the circle who took a shot. Amy in goals made a fantastic save .The first half ended 0-0. 

1 cr  2 cr

3 cr

In the second half Dundalk gained in confidence and moved the ball around with ease creating scoring opportunities. However Wilson’s defence had the best game of the season and they blocked every shot on goal. Hannah and Sheena took control and helped the team push out from the back and get Wilson’s back into the game. Our Team Captain, Lucy had an excellent game in midfield and after the midway point in the second half Wilson’s started to threaten the Dundalk goal once again. Jane and Carla linked up well on the left and passed the ball through to Raimey who had her shot blocked. As Dundalk were pushing players forward they left plenty of space for Emily up front. She had some excellent opportunities in the closing minutes of the second half but just couldn’t convert.

4 cr  6 cr

5 cr

The final whistle was blown and the teams got ready for Extra Time and Silver Goal. Three minutes into extra time Wilson’s were awarded a short corner for a foot in the circle. Roisin passed the ball out to Jane who, using the reverse, took a shot on goal. It sailed passed the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner. Immediately Dundalk had an opportunity to draw level after they were awarded a dubious short corner. Wilson’s defended the shot skillfully and the final whistle was blown. Wilson’s are the Senior A Meath & District League champions of 2018. Congratulations to the girls, their coach Ms Cosgrave and all involved. 

7 cr 8 cr

9cr 10cr

12cr 11cr

Hockey 1 cr

Hockey 2 cr


The Junior girls also played Dundalk Grammar today in a repeat of last years league final. Having lost only one game all year the girls went into the game confident in their abilities and eager to avenge the loss last year.

Wilson's were quick off the mark and scored first. Dundalk are always a tough opposition and came back to equalise. The Wilson's girls failed to convert some more goal scoring opportunities and went in to the half time break at 1-1. Dundalk scored from a set piece early in the second half but Wilson's kept fighting unfortunately again missing some goal scoring opportunities. Siobhan was superb in defence and sent some fantastic passes into the opposing teams circle that Emma was unlucky not to finish. Dundalk scored in the last ten minutes to make it 3-1. Wilson's had two opportunities in the last five minutes that they failed to take advantage of. The final whistle went and the girls were devasted. They played the best game they've played in the last three years as Juniors. The only thing to separate the sides was that Dundalk took their opportunities. The girls and their coach Ms Hyde should be immensely proud of how well they represented themselves and their school today. Not once did they give up the fight.

Squad cr